| I-129F Petition, K1 Fiance(e) Visa, AOS Guides | I-129F Petition, K1 Fiance(e) Visa, AOS Guides | I-129F Petition, K1 Fiance(e) Visa, AOS Guides | I-129F Petition, K1 Fiance(e) Visa, AOS Guides

I-129F Fiancé(e) Petition Process

By Erika Presson
Last Updated: November 7, 2013


  • The reader has the DUTY/RESPONSIBILITY to verify information from the aforementioned government agencies on their own - Not through hearsays, forums, or blogs (YES, including this blog). Please read my disclaimer here.
  • Make sure you've read ALL the articles under the "Immigration" Menu up top, because I've written and covered all pertinent information about the whole I-129F/K1/AOS/ROC Processes.
  • Search through Frequently Asked Questions about the whole process from I-129F - K1 Visa - AOS - ROC and other processes. Read about the KnowledgeBase here »
  • The articles found on this blog are applicable to all I-129F Petitions, K1 Visa Applicants, AOS (from a K1 Visa), and ROC applicants unless otherwise noted. The I-129F Process and AOS is the same for all foreign beneficiaries/spouses. Some K1 Visa Process articles are written specifically for applicants from the Philippines. Please refer to your country's U.S. Consulate/Embassy website for country-specific instructions.

So you’re tired of the Long Distance Relationship. You, the US Citizen, know he/she’s THE ONE. You’ve proposed / He proposed. You/She accepted. He/She is now your Fiancé(e). Time to put a ring on it. Get married ASAP and bring him/her to the US? No. Not quite yet. It will take at least 6-8 months to get him/her in the US. There’s a process that you both need to undergo and follow through: The I-129F Fiancé(e) Petition. AND this is just the first step.


What Do You Need To Do?


File the necessary paperwork for the I-129F Fiancé(e) Petition (US Citizen) »

Download and fill up the forms on the USCIS website. Send off the package with the necessary documentation / initial evidences required. It will take a few months for this particular process to be complete. Some get it under a month, some wait for 4-8 months. You need the I-797 Notice of Action (NOA2) or petition approval before you can move onto the next stage, of course.

Read more here: I-129F Fiancé(e) Petition & Checklist »


NVC Case Number Acquisition (US Citizen/Alien Fiancé(e)/Beneficiary) »

You have now your NOA2 petition approval for your I-129F Fiancé(e) Petition. Next step is to get your Case Number through phone or email from the National Visa Center (NVC). Alternatively, you can also wait for NVC to send out this Case Number through mail. But, who wants to wait for that, right?

Read more here: NVC and CEAC Status Tracker »


CEAC Status Tracking (US Citizen / Alien Fiancé(e)/Beneficiary) »

After getting your NVC Case Number, you may now track where your case file is through the Consular Electronic Application Center or CEAC. When it’s at the consulate, you’re just a smidge away from getting your interview date!

Read more here: NVC and CEAC Status Tracker »


NVC Case Number, K1 Fiancé(e) Visa and Adjustment of Status

Securing an approval for your I-129F Petition is just the first step of the immigration process. Other processes are involved such as the acquisition of the Case Number from NVC which you will use in the K1 Visa Process, and then there’s Adjustment of Status (AOS) that happens after you and your fiancé(e) get married. And no, it doesn’t end there. After approval of AOS, the foreign spouse will get a 2-year Conditional Green Card (Permanent Residence) and a 2-year “break” from USCIS processes. Before the 2-year break of immigration processes with USCIS ends, your beneficiary spouse will continue with the Removing/Removal of Conditions (ROC) process 90 days before the 2-year conditional Green Card expires. When ROC is approved, the applicant spouse will get a 10-year Green Card. Three (3) years after you both are married, your spouse may even apply for Naturalization / U.S. Citizenship. If your foreign spouse opts to keep his/her foreign citizenship, he/she will have to renew their 10-year Green Card before it expires. With Naturalization though, will the immigration process truly end.


Frequently Asked Questions on the entire I-129F Fiancé(e) Petition / K1 Visa / Adjustment of Status (AOS) from a K1 Visa processes:



Related Pages:


Please read this website’s Disclaimer.

We have a new Facebook Group / Community! Please join us and keep us updated with your progress! You can also share information about scheduling and such. Ask questions if you want, but make sure you've read all the articles I've written and searched both the Facebook group and KnowledgeBase for answers first. KnowledgeBase is now up and running!
Read about it here »

If this website / blog has helped you in any way... Please read this post. :)

Are you looking for something else?




(Please click on "Show Replies" to read other comments/replies)

  1. Natalie says:

    Hi. I’m getting ready to send the I-129F petition, and I was wondering how should I arrange the documents. I’ve been watching some videos and it shows people with all the documents in a binder. Is that how you sent it, in a binder separated by dividers? Thanks in advance for your help. I don’t want to do anything that could jeopardize or slow the process

    • I do not know how my husband (then-fiancé) arranged all the documents but I’m assuming he sent it all in just one folder. (He’s not as anal as I am with documents.)

      If you want to know how I arrange my documents, especially with my AOS. Head on to to see the folders I’ve sent to USCIS.

      That’s basically how I do documents for any process.

      There’s no right or wrong folder arrangement/filing. Just make it as orderly as possible. Same purpose documents in a folder (USCIS Forms, Docs pertaining to Applicant Information, Relationship Evidences – label the photos with dates and places!)

      Good luck!

  2. Laarni says:

    My fiance petitioned me last December 2014. We got our NOA 1 on January 5, 2015 and then finally got our NOA 2 which is the approval notice,this January 20, 2015. We are both happy because we didnt expect that the processing time of our case is quite fast compare to others that I have read in the internet. Is it really possible? Sorry I just cant contain my happiness. Thanks for this blog!

  3. akinadeboye says:

    oops my bad. Thanks :)

  4. akinadeboye says:

    Hi Melissa! Thank you for a forum like this. Please does on have to be engaged to really kick start this process? Or is evidence (pictures/tickets) of having met in person and ongoing facebook and skype conversation enough to prove a genuine relationship? Thanks

  5. melissa says:

    Hi Erika! your site is really helpful. We are planning to start with the whole process once he gets back in the state coz he’s currently here (Philippines). Do you have any idea if he can file the k1 petition here? Thanks! :)

    • Hi Melissa!

      Thanks! He most certainly can file from here. But you’d have to FedEx it to the US Address for couriers.

      It’s cheaper if he’d do it when he goes back to the States though. You’re going to send a whole bunch of paperwork and evidences. I believe they are weighed.

      If he’s staying in the Philippines for more than 6 months, by all means go ahead. It must be a reliable address too. Because all correspondences and notifications will be sent to the Petitioner’s address. Also, NEVER use the PH Postal for sending documents with sensitive information.

      If he’s staying there for just a few weeks, better to just wait till he gets back in the US and he can file paperwork from here. He can use USPS, they’re reliable. Plus there’d be no confusion on where USCIS will send notices.

      Good Luck!

      PS. I’m moving your comment to the I-129F Petition Article Page. This question is best suited under it.

What do you think?

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: